Tuesday night focus group: The Beer Name Dilema
I have been struggling a little bit for creativity recently. I think the combination of excessive travelling, time zone hopping, not sleeping too well and being far more stressed out than I usually am has taken its toll on left side of my brain.
We like to consider ourselves pretty democratic here and love getting the people who drink our beer involved in the decisions we make. So we want to get you involved in easing my writer's block, taking the pressure off my creativity and helping us name our new little baby. And yes, we know it is not an actual baby but this is far more important!
So we want you to submit name suggestions for our new beer. With stalwarts such as Punk IPA, 77, How to Disappear Completely and Tokyo in our line-up the pressure is now on your shoulders to come up with something killer. Up for the challenge?
Our beer naming criteria is pretty simply: it has to be something which no other UK brewery would do - be it too cool, too edgy, too intelligent, whatever. The key thing for us is calling our beers something unique and different, doing similar things to everyone else is of no interest to us at all.
The beer itself is going to be a limited edition cask special. A 5% hop-bomb red ale. Far more hoppy than bitter, with a robust red malt base it blends American and New Zealand hops and is dry-hopped to hell too.
So this is our chance to name a BrewDog beer. Just leave your suggestions below. The winner will obviously get a few cases of free beer and serious blagging rights.
Keep Rocking in the Free World
- Some more:
- Satan´s Wet Dream;
- Devil´s Weeping;
- Tears From Hell;
- Blood Frenzy;
- Fire Whip;
- Heart Stroke;
- what about dilemma, as your title says? Toby09.07.2009
- How about:
- The Colour Of The Beast;
- Angry One;
- Red Destruction;
- Evil Within;
- Ground Zero;
- Trial By Fire;
- The Reddest Hour. headjoe09.07.2009
- How about the red baron, the hulk is red now in the marvel universe so how about Red Hulk?
You have made a Tokyo so why not a Moscow.
- Running with the red theme here.... what about Lenin or Trotsky?
Failing that, call it Turkish Prison lol JD03.07.2009
Syrah for the Dry (hopped) red
nude for the lack of preservatives, additives, flavour enhancers or pasteurisation
And all as a play on the word SERENADE since you are virtually alone in making these kinds of beers! Blair Wilgus03.07.2009
- Reds dead baby, Reds dead... Taco Jansz03.07.2009
- Ruddy Hell... Taco Jansz03.07.2009
- And the winner is...............
watch this space.
thanks for all the wicked suggestions! James, BrewDog02.07.2009
- Broch kev02.07.2009
- Space Hopper (if its not a trade mark) or on similar theam pogo stick. Carl Grigg02.07.2009
- RED ALERT!! Erick02.07.2009
- Im going for Barbarossa, otherwise known as Red Beard. the name of Britains first tactical nuclear weapon, or an Ottoman privateer that ruled the Med for decades in the 1500s. cant wait for the Divine Rebel to hit Colorado next week! and the Juxtiposition! William Doyle02.07.2009
- or hoew about : UN - just so i can ask for a pint of your Un Real ale craig garvie02.07.2009
- bigbadwolf. as in brewDOG making a (riding hood) RED ale. jared02.07.2009
- Genisis - Simple! Mr Wallace02.07.2009
- Infrared again. Just to point out that there was a German physicist called August Beer and there is a Beer s Law. The law is used widely in infra-red spectroscopy, check out wikipedia.
- Infrared. You know it has to be called Infrared - if you ever make a stronger version than could be call Far Infrared. David Sherry01.07.2009
- connoisseur with an upwards arrow so when you drink it it points at you! Tsr01.07.2009
- Or just totaly random, cause its my favourite word : Spathic
Its means to Have good Cleavage craig garvie01.07.2009
- I also quite fancy : Sold Out, just so i can go up to people and ask have you see Brewdog Sold out?
- Just to confuse the Wetherspoons crowd, you could call it coming soon craig garvie01.07.2009
- Red Tide. Its goner wash all over you. mark oldham01.07.2009
- Another one: Fiery (alt Horny) Redhead - the even naughtier lady friend of Trashy Blonde. Mo01.07.2009
- Rubric (meaning both defining obscurity and redness)
or, dusting off some Cold War lingo for red:
fellow traveler Ally01.07.2009
- *Rubric (meaning both defining obscurity and redness)
or, dusting off some Cold War lingo for red:
*fellow traveler Ally01.07.2009
- Amber Mistress? Joe Clark01.07.2009
- How about Ragtime?
Play on words based on colour of mentruation with funky blues inspired music Tim01.07.2009
- Cuntline (a genuine nautical term!) Toasty notes. And now for something completely different. Crimson crusader. Scarlet harlet. Burning love. Ruddy shame. Red Rum. Bloodshot. jamie cowie01.07.2009
- Come on, guys. Michael Jackson! No, not that one. Other breweries would commemorate the beery Jacko, rather than the one who left us with an increasingly dire back catalogue of (s)hits.
So, in the name of Lord MJ, why not call it JESUS JUICE. If thats a bit much, then plump for DUCK BUTTER. I grow ever more tired that beers arent being named after man seed. Maf Bailey01.07.2009
- Hop Smack & Jump
a lot of these names are marmite!
Hows about What kind of Beer is this?
- Actually iv looked and theres 4 beers that have been previously made all throughout the world called banter at one time or another. But im sure there hasnt been a beer called, Like The Fist of an Angry God, not sure how many people would understand its conotations though. magicdave601.07.2009
- Iv always wanted to call a beer, Mon The Banter. But just Banter will do. The idea of walking into somewhere and asking for a pint of Banter always makes me smile. magicdave601.07.2009
- Doppler Effect (as in Red Shift - possibly a tad geeky...well I had a go) Actually not sure if there already is one of these? Jools01.07.2009
- Fractal - to go with the many layered complexities of your beers. Ed Wray01.07.2009
- 5am Saint Adrian01.07.2009
- Hop-pebacco! Marco01.07.2009
- Red Scope, farseeker. Pasi Huhtala01.07.2009
- Full Refund Please or Makes Pish Smell Great Lewis DeVito01.07.2009
- How about Hop In The Name of Love. Or Supreme Leader (maintaining the Supremes and the red theme). Or Inferno/Bottichelli`s Dildo (last one is stupid but I had actually thought of Dante`s Nightmare and googled it only to find a link to beer advocate-damn!) Andrew Frazer01.07.2009
- Some more - TDB or The DB (cover your ears, Bracken), Red Knob, Hopscorch, Bacchanalia. Grant Reid01.07.2009
- Red Leader...? Has a kind of political/Star Wars feel to it. Aaron01.07.2009
Or Ap-hop-alypse Now, providing that would not get you sued into oblivion. Chris Little30.06.2009
- M Theory ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory )
Batteries Not Included
- Hop til You Drop? Chris Little30.06.2009
- Probably more suitable for something with an ABV that is a greater threat to polite society, but what about Portman Antidote? Chris Little30.06.2009
- BrewDog´s ´Little Red Beer´ ?
(Spin-off of Mao´s ´Little Red Book´) Mo30.06.2009
- Swastika is pretty edgy. Or perhaps C**t for shock value.
For a serious name thats not just being rude or offensive for the sake of it, it has to be 5% Hoppy Red Ale.
Why I think is obvious. Jimbeaux30.06.2009
- Here`s a few...
Fun on the Tongue /
Pocket Full of Fun /
Sweet Yuko`s Oil /
Mind Dryer /
Sweet Things Suck /
Roger, Heat the Plate /
deep & meaningless /
pope smiker /
knob donkey /
fruit bouncer Kevin Burges30.06.2009
- Evil Dictator or Alien Overlord Brian30.06.2009
- How about loves sweet excile, hop-bomb, hop kick or now for something completely different Andy mogg30.06.2009
- Flanndres Poppy. Just works on so many levels. Shawn Richmond30.06.2009