5am Saint label colour dilema
Poll: 5am Label Colour
- Bad Black
- Raconteur Red
- Audacious Aquatic Mint
We have writer's block, or whatever the beer label design equivalent is. We are trying to decide the packaging for our new 5% ale - 5am Saint. 5am Saint is a amber-red ale with low bitterness and insane hopiness. So far we have only released a few bottles and casks of the prototype and people seem to dig it.
We now have to decide what colour to make the label. We have to find something which looks good by itself but also looks good as part of our core range for 2010 of Punk, 77, Trashy and 5am Saint.
We want your help in choosing the colour. Any other suggestions appreciated too.
Audacious Aquatic Mint
Your thoughts on the first draft of the label text would also be appreciated.
Posted in - news
- I would go with green- youve enough other Red and Black labels, green will - I hope! - stand out more in the line-up/on the shelf/in my fridge... Stuart Reekie15.09.2009
- Red is good. Do not like the black at all really. And I would be careful with the rude words also as otherwise this will end up as another beer which requires modification before some sellers will touch it. Let your beer do tha talking and not anything else, lads. Alan Robertson08.09.2009
- Go with the mint, tone down the text. Its a path youve already trod well in lighter shoes, this text is clod-hopping by comparison Reluctant Scooper04.09.2009
- The Red colour for sure - great colour descriptor for beer and really works in the line up as a team. Of course the obvious link to the colour of the beer is nice too! Andrew DUnn04.09.2009
- James. I have a problem with your label: AND WE ARE THE FUCKING DOCTOR.... you just cant say that!!! I mean, unless of course you have a Phd or are an undercover medic. I am just concerned that you might even get put on the naughty step by an alcohol regulatory body....
Colin, BrewDog Pusher, NZ
p.s Audacious Aquatic Mint colin mallon03.09.2009
- mint defo it sticks out while complimenting the others Bex Smith03.09.2009
- Green looks like Mouthwash
Black looks like Tokyo*
Red looks ACE.
- The red suits the beer name, but I think the mint complements the other colours in the range best and perhaps
Hmm, this is harder than picking the colours for fantasy football team! Mark, Real-Ale-Reviews.com03.09.2009
- New beer deserves a new fresh colour; it’s got to be ‘Audacious Aquatic Mint’ for me!
- Got it. How about a grey-blue on white?
- I like the Green one, makes a good addition to the bright selection of labels you already use! James Taylor03.09.2009
- Also – if you go with the green you may want to consider making the “5 AM” font slightly bigger as it’s somewhat drowned out by the light tone of the background. G Dunbar02.09.2009
- Ok...so on reflection – the best thing for me about the BrewDog label design is the “blank canvas” that is the 2 colour text and background. This lends itself (cost permitting) to be exploited e.g. the red dot in the first “o” of Tokyo. I’d love to see a BrewDog label split vertically/horizontally so you have a kind of negative text/background thing going on with the house font... G Dunbar02.09.2009
- I would say the red. It looks good on its own and with the others. Rory02.09.2009
- I`m conflicted. On their own I think green is the weakest, but with the other bottles I think the green looks best. Fits in with the colour schema better. Maybe a less saturated red? Vittorio, therinkery.blogspot.com02.09.2009
- Crimson - should be a bleary 5AM blood shot eyes type of colour... Taco02.09.2009
- ChickB – It’s all in the game... G Dunbar02.09.2009
- Love the green – but the red probably best suits the beer. The black might confuse some unsuspecting consumer into buying Tokyo* I can see the headlines now... G Dunbar02.09.2009
- If it is 5am saint, wouldnt a sunrise colour (gold fading to orange - or amber to red) be more appropriate?
And how about a halo? David M02.09.2009
- I want to say Green as i like the Green best but i think the Red Suits this beer best.
But do keep the Green label for when you do a Mint version of the Tokyo craig garvie02.09.2009
- Red is good, but the blurb is too close to Punk IPA (which is a straight lift from Arrogant Bastard Ale).
There are only so many ways you can say mainstream beer is piss without it starting to sound a bit trite.
I would go for something along the lines of the fact you have got as far as reading this means you are starting to get the message.
Obviously, you will probably want to throw a grandiloquent or two in there.
And you will probably want to keep the word fucking in there too, because the Portman Group have not been thrown a bone for a while.... ChickB02.09.2009
- I would say the red one because it seems more devil-ish. I also think a yellow and black label would work too. I would stay clear of green altogether because green makes you think of sick. Unless it was an organic beer and environmentally friendly made label I do not think green gives the right message. Heather Brennan02.09.2009
- Try make it a very dark green Grant02.09.2009
- Mint Great!! Marco02.09.2009
- I like the mint. Red is okay too. Label text is awesome Micke02.09.2009
- the red is good as is the mit but i think orange and black or black and orange would look awesome andy mogg02.09.2009
- Agree with Mint. for already stated reasons. text is a bit too condescending but nice use of the F word. David02.09.2009
- Now, most people will go for red and not dig the mint one - but you created it for a reason, yes? I would suggest that 5AM Saint is going to be closer to Trashy and Punk rather than a dangerous style ale (Dogma, Hardcore, etc - the ones with black labels essentially). Because of this, the mint would go well as its a similar saturation to the purple and cyan of the afore-mentioned ales. You look at it - its white writing on a one of the lighter backgrounds, you know its going to be one of the more easy going brews you do. Then again, youll probably just go red and then cry when you try and find a colour for mass-market Rake. Maf02.09.2009
- go with the red, itll catch the eye when on display and maybe people will ask what it is and maybe buy a bottle rather than going for corona or peroni all the time
eejits Dave P02.09.2009
- Do not like the black at all, too close to the 77. Red feels more medical and it is a red ale, so I would go with that - but definitely use the mint on a different beer, it is a great colour. I think the label text is a bit too hectoring - personally I would go with just the last three paras, from At Brewdog onwards, in bigger type! UnfriendlyGhost02.09.2009
- I would say the red, too -- when the bottles are lying on their side in the fridge it would be easier to see which one is the 77 and which the 5am, thereby saving me at least five seconds of precious time that I could be using for drinking.
And that label. Oh my. Yes. Ian02.09.2009
- Red stands its ground with the other bottles, and I think suits the name, and indeed the label.
Cant wait to try it. Jason Cale02.09.2009
- I like the mint one, to fit the medical theme.
And then wait for the accusations of health-claims... The Beer Nut02.09.2009
- Red - I find it more medicinal than the other colours - matches the blurb
R. Ryan Lower02.09.2009