Martin and James' Brew Sunday
Martin and I had the brewery to ourselves on Sunday. It was just like old times. No ringing phones or inboxes with the tendency to spontaneously combust with weight of emails, no people in suits turning up for pointless meetings and no staff to organise. It was awesome.
I wanted to keep all the cocao in my office....
Since we don’t get to brew together much anymore we decided to take the opportunity to use some amazing new ingredients we have been sourcing for a while now and brew a beer unlike any we have ever made. We wanted to make something new and different and something that would only be sold at our new Bar in Aberdeen and from our direct from our brewery.
Martin loves coffee, a little bit too much sometimes.
We brewed a 15% stout with mountains and mountains of dark malts. We hopped with beer solely with Fuggles and we absolutely loaded the beer with them!
In addition we brewed with loads of pure cocoa, which we got from our friends at Willie’s Cacao – we did a cool swap deal and sent them some beer. We also used Brazilian coffee beans (whole, not ground) in the kettle after the boil. The viciously thick, demonically dark beer will also be aged with more cocoa and coffee beans in the tank for 2 months before packaging.
Mash Tun Martin.
James adding the hops
Oh and it was brewed whilst listening to the Ramones. The beer does not have a name and any suggestions are appreciated! It is fermenting well and already tastes great.
The beer finally in the fermantation tank.
Posted in - our-beers
- Loved your beer at Tate Modern and jotted down the name to look for it back in the states. On the way home saw an advertisement about your taxidermy campaign. Seriously? Not interested now. michelle martinez08.08.2010
- 'I wanna be caffienated' - like the song :) John M03.08.2010
- Hair of the Dog
Time 4 a Brew
Can not wait to see this guysStephen Leighton20.07.2010
- The name this beer is Afroamericano
- What about calling it The Kraken with a bit of Tennyson on the bottle...
Below the thunders of the upper deep;
Far far beneath in the abysmal sea,
His ancient, dreamless, uninvaded sleep
The Kraken sleepeth: faintest sunlights flee
About his shadowy sides; above him swell
Huge sponges of millennial growth and height;
And far away into the sickly light,
From many a wondrous grot and secret cell
Unnumber'd and enormous polypi
Winnow with giant arms the slumbering green.
There hath he lain for ages, and will lie
Battening upon huge seaworms in his sleep,
Until the latter fire shall heat the deep;
Then once by man and angels to be seen,
In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
- "Co-co! Let's Go!" dan.lad11.07.2010
- Is this the winning beer from the online poll? Dave09.07.2010
- Hmm, Bean Around, Bean there done that, Bean Caught Stealing?
Or something like Toasted
Whatever the name, I cannot wait for this!
- Broch of the Maya? ;p K'inich Kan B'alam II08.07.2010
- I can't wait to taste this. Dave Paton08.07.2010
- GABBA!! Erick08.07.2010
Kinda like the Ramones song.
see what i did there?Danny A08.07.2010
- dark matter
- dark matter
- Got to be 'Gulch' ard08.07.2010
- Boffee! Neil08.07.2010
- 'HopEspresso' or 'HopMokaccino Stout' Daniel Rodriguez08.07.2010
- Awesome looking brew day, and and awesome sounding beer. I'd go with a name like "Somebody Put Something in My Drink", a twist on that'd be cool. Or Hoppuccino
- Just call it Quiet Sunday, which you'll have if you have a Saturday night on it... Chris08.07.2010
- Or possibly Totally Wired after the song by The Fall. firstname.lastname@example.org
- ChocoCacoFuggleAeberDog Gareth Young07.07.2010
- Could call it 'beerista' fergus07.07.2010
- That glass looks strikingly reminiscent of De Struise's new glassware... Speaking of, how about a collaboration brew with Struise for their next installment of Black Damnation? Potential for the best beer in the world?! I think so. Justin07.07.2010
- how about Fraserburgh coffee beer. Bit long. Fcoffee beer phil dalgleish07.07.2010
- nice to see you using Hasbean coffee, big fan of their stuff and steve is a legend! andy mogg07.07.2010
- What about, "Ram-One"? Picture of course being an angry looking sheep. Have to credit the music... Nik Speller07.07.2010
- It's got to be Blitzkrieg Hop! Looking forward to tasting this one Kirk07.07.2010
- "I Wanna Be Caffeinated"? Anthony Williams07.07.2010
- MochAlone HereIsMyHandle07.07.2010
- "slavedog" brobin07.07.2010
- My favourite type of beer, using beans from my favourite coffee roaster... made by my favourite brewery. :)
A name... well, I don't care what you call it, this beer will forever be called Has Bean Beer in my mind.
Now... to hijack a camel and make my way to Scotland!
- Please please please call it Sheena! Andy Young07.07.2010
- Surely the most obvious Ramones tribute would be-
'Roast to Ruin'Tim07.07.2010
- damm you darren..... you beat me by about a whole second : ) ararchy99907.07.2010
- "Supercilious Stout" sums it up for me! PR07.07.2010
- as a tribute to the ramones why not call it ' blitzkrieg hop ' anarchy99907.07.2010
- hmm....im thinking something like: "Blitzkrieg Hop" darran munro07.07.2010
- BrewDog Hoppuccino?
How about a nice 'Hop Cup of Coffee'Nick Patchett07.07.2010
- Sedated... as in "I wann be Sedated?" d07.07.2010
- Sounds cool...why dont you call it Cappuccino?! Calum Robertson07.07.2010
- That sounds like a fantastic beer! Like an Irish coffee beer with epic hoppage. Pete07.07.2010
- Cretin Hoppy? Tony Kiernan07.07.2010