Will the real Hardcore IPA please stand up.
There was a severe hop shortage in 2008. Prices went up, availability went down. In hindsight, the middle of a hop crisis is not the best time to try and launch a hoppy double IPA. Consequently we just never got Hardcore IPA quite right. We did not get the hops we wanted for it and we could not get enough hops to do the beer justice. In 2008 it was a well mannered, polite double IPA; robustly balanced, wholesome even but not very punk, not very bold, not very BrewDog.
We have completely revamped the recipe, it is now jam-packed with the hops we originally intended to use in it and contains 4 (yes 4!) times as much hops as the original incarnation. Oh and it is dry-hopped to hell too! The first ever batch of the hardcore Hardcore was bottled today.
First things first; this beer is absolutely insane! Crazy, crazy and even more crazy. Just like a double IPA should be. Hops, Hops, Hops, Hops and Hops. A combination of our absolute favourite varieties from America and New Zealand. We can guarantee you will never have tasted a beer anything like this from a European brewery.
The 150 IBUs completely punish and slaughter your palate. The bitterness endures long after you swallow and burns in your throat for hours. The nose is like being showered in Simcoe, Chinook and Pacific Gem. The palate is an onslaught of resinous pine, explosive fruits, clinging citrus, with an amazing freshness and zest. It is when you are brave enough to swallow that the beer asserts true dominance. It holds you in a self-induced vicious cycle of flavour, bite and cynicism. It just completely and utterly screws you over. It is like being raped by a hop monster! Yet somehow it is difficult to leave it alone. The 9% makes your head go fuzzy, the warm tingling adds to the confusion. This beer messes you up so much you want to keep on drinking it just to try and figure out what is going on. This beer very much lives up to the x-rated name!
This is an extreme beer rollercoaster for freaks, gypsies and international chess superstars.
You can buy some of the brand new batch here:
Or a special Brewdog IPA mixed case (IPA Bonanza) which includes one of our favourite 2/3 pint glasses and 3 Punk IPA, 3 Chaos Theory and 3 Hardcore IPA here:
We would love to know your thoughts on the new Hardcore.
Take care of yourselves, and each other.
The discount code BREW will give you 10% off for the next few days!
- Fab beer, the Punk is great stuff. into grain homebrew, next brew will be laced with Nelson Sauvin, strip ya pallet with each mouthfull,, will look like Jonny Rotten chewing raw garlic. Hops, freezer is full of em, house stinks of beer, n kitchen full of corny kegs. Punk on tap allan14.04.2009
- m looking forward to trying this bad boy, Ill miss the old one, I really quite liked it. But role on the hops!http://dfhhk.net/dfh fgjgfj09.04.2009
- Currently drinking this and its gorgeous. Thanks for making me hoppy. Ally20.03.2009
- Just received my delivery - this stuff is superb.
- Just got the beer & it ROCKS BIG TIME...
A combination of flavours that confuses my tastebuds then warms into a moreish bitter glow...
A must buy...
Thanks again for some GREAT Beer...
- Im looking forward to trying this bad boy, Ill miss the old one, I really quite liked it. But role on the hops! Andrew06.03.2009
- Keep the hops a coming...
- Yes! this sounds awesome!! Great description too... I wanna be raped by the hop monster! Mark06.03.2009