BrewDog Takes London
On Saturday 20th of October, our 2nd London craft beer bar, BrewDog Shoreditch officially opened. Beer drinkers in East London can look forward to a library of beery masterpieces from all over the world, regular beer tastings classes, craft beer cocktails, board games, a full range of our beers on draft and some of the trademark BrewDog anarchy thrown in for good measure.
We have done some pretty cool things to mark the opening of our other bars including driving tank down Camden High Street and organising a crap beer amnesty in Manchester. However we decided to go one better for the opening of BrewDog Shoreditch and plastered our message, 70 feet tall, onto the iconic Houses of Parliament, the revered Marble Arch and the imposing Battersea Powerstation.
Oh and we also projected an image of ourselves (pretty much naked) onto the Houses of Parliament too. The tongue-in-cheek image of James & Martin is a deliberate parody of the infamous image of Gail Porter projected onto the building in 1999. It was designed as a statement of our intent to take the craft beer revolution to the next level.
The craft beer movement has already changed British drinking culture for the better, so we wanted to make everyone sit up and take notice. Craft beer drinkers are taking on the establishment, and we’re winning. We’re democratising an industry that has for too long been run behind the multimillion pound cloaks and mirrors of global corporations holding profit and propaganda above passion and integrity.
The Houses of Parliament
It’s nearly fifteen years since Gail Porter was projected onto Parliament; there was no craft beer scene in Britain then. Last weekend, we opened our eighth craft beer bar and there are now loads of amazing craft breweries across the country. When we started in 2007 our biggest mission was to make other people as passionate about great craft beer as we are. That is still our biggest mission today: hopefully the new Shoreditch bar and the London projections help us achieve that.
Plus Martin thinks he has a better bum than Gail Porter.
Posted in - brewdog-news
- Not sure I want to see any "tongue-in-cheek" pictures of James and Martin, you dirty buggers. benH25.10.2012
- Excellent :-)
- awesome stuff, please open one in dundee!! we need one and we're your neighbour!! there are loads of suitable vacant properties here! you forsook us for edinbirgh although i cant really blame you tbh... geoff the lemon25.10.2012
PLEASE AND TA!jimmyseats24.10.2012
- open one in RIO pleaseee
- You should open one in Copenhagen ;)
Or build a big bar with two floors one with Brewdog and one with Mikkeller ;)
it would be the best bar ever!!!Key24.10.2012
- All right, time to open one in Switzerland! Arnaud24.10.2012
- Luke - nothing. That was just the first time any company tried projecting an image like that; a stunt now parodied by James and Martin, and almost as eye-catching!
From Wikipedia: "The image [of Gail Porter] became well known due to the events of one night in 1999, when FHM, along with guerrilla marketing company Cunning Communications and projectionist/artist Malcolm Litson and Jason Bridges, beamed an enormous projection of her [nude] onto the exterior of the Houses of Parliament, with an accompanying message urging people to vote for Porter in the FHM Top 100 Sexiest Women Poll"Hillhousehannah24.10.2012
- That's proper craft right there BrotherLogic24.10.2012
- AMAZING! pete h24.10.2012
- Great stuff guys but more love for Scotland required. Three bars for your home nation just isn't enough. Are you bringing the beer academy, planned for London but denied, north of the border? McPhisto24.10.2012
- I love what you guys do and I'm excited abou visiting the Shoreditch bar, but seriously, what has Gail Porter being projected on the Houses of Parliament got to do with promoting craft beer? Luke24.10.2012
- Could you put up the original photo of James and Martin? I wouldn't mind a better look... :P Hillhousehannah24.10.2012
- wow - that is pretty epic.
BrewDog certainly does not lack guts and passion!Adrian M24.10.2012
- Nice one! Great job fellas! See Shoreditch soon :)! David D24.10.2012
- you guys have some serious balls. I am surprised no-one got arrested for this!
pretty cool thoughMarcus24.10.2012
- I would agree with Martin :) Bex24.10.2012
- that is bat shit crazy guys.