How to deconstruct (an Imperial Stout) completely
It all started a a year and a half ago in San Diego.
Greg Koch and I made a spoof video about a golden imperial stout as an April Fool's Joke. Then we decided to actually brew it. So here is how you deconstruct an imperial stout.
6 ingredients are key to this beer:
Oats, liquorice, heavily toasted oak chips, cacao, coffee and smoked malt. We use a base of only extra pale malt then we:
- Add mountains of oats to the malt bill to give the beer a thick, dense mouth-feel.
- Add a small amount of smoked malt too, to introduce some depth and a little smokiness. Think burning pirate ships and over toasted marshmallows.
- After fermentation we grate loads of 100% cacao into the beer to give it a indulgent, decadent chocolate infusion.
- We also then age the beer on coffee beans, giving the rounded roastiness and coffee notes without any colour pick up.
- We also add liquorice roots after fermentation too.
- And finally we aged the beer on heavily toasted oak chips for months to introduce a balance, mellowness and encapsulating toastiness to the schizophrenic beer.
Because it is a extremely thick light beer, the bubbles do cool things when you pour it....
You can get your paws on some here http://www.brewdog.com/product/abstrakt-ab08 and our new Abstrakt glasses here http://www.brewdog.com/shop/brewdog-stuff~glassware
Best enjoyed whilst wearing a Christmas cardigan.....
- :) Daticc7725.12.2011
- Sold out already? Holy hell was that fast? Is it coming back in stock at any point, or should I give up hope of getting a bottle? McPhee23.12.2011
- This is cool. Gareth22.12.2011
- I have to agree with Rob, proper Xmas cardigans/jumpers should cause your eyes to bleed. Or at least beg for mercy. As to the beer, my perennial complaint that Brewdog are out to personally bankrupt me still stands! And yes, I will be in Brewdog Edinburgh this afternoon... Wilson22.12.2011
- Loved this at camden, ordered 6 bottles Stephanos22.12.2011
- This should be a very interesting beer, rather than a blindfold do we get a free piratey eye patch with each bottle?
The new glassware looks very nice as well, will be good to try the beer in it's own glass when I get it.
For a christmas cardigan that it very inoffensive.Rob M21.12.2011