#Mashtag 2014 Day 1: The Beer Style
Poll: #Mashtag 2014 Day 1: The Beer Style
- Red Ale
In case you missed #Mashtag last year, here's a run-down of how it works:
Every day this week we'll post a blog at 10am. Each post will present you with three options; three paths the beer can take, and it's up to you to decide which one we go with. To make the decision, you can cast your vote here on the blog, on twitter, or on facebook. Here's how the week will pan out:
Monday: Beer Style
Tuesday: Malt Bill & ABV
Wednesday: Hops & IBU
Thursday: Special Twist (Infused with berries? Wine barrel aged? Matured aboard an X-Wing?)
Voting is open from 10am - 8pm each day, with the exception of Friday (more details will be revealed, but there's no harm in getting your artistic hats on early). Simcoe and his little helpers will tally up the votes each evening and each day we'll include the results from the day before in the blog. As we go we'll explain the ingredients and methods involved in each option, to give you the chance to make an informed opinion and give you an insight into how we come up with some of the ideas for our beer.
#Mashtag 2014 - another chance for you to put your stamp on how we brew here at BrewDog.
Day 1: Beer Style
This year, the beer styles you can choose from are:
The noble pilsner is the original golden lager. If you choose this option, you're most likely voting for a pale beer, brewed with bottom fermenting lager yeast, which will be low in fruity esters (aromatic compounds) but have a clean refreshing taste.
Red ales, like our 5am Saint, are brewed with speciality malts, can be sweeter than pale ales or lagers (but not cloyingly so), and can take on and balance more intense flavours due to the increased malt bill. If you pick red ale, it could be anything from a light and zippy summer beer, to a big and fruity barrel aged beast. Who knows. We certainly don't, but that's kind of the point.
Originally from London, porters are dark beers that, overall, lack the powerful bitterness and coffee notes of a stout, but share many of the same attributes. At this early stage, expect only a dark beer, with some chocolate and coffee notes, but plenty of scope for refining and tweaking.
Well, now that you know the score, have a think and decide what you want to vote for, but don't hang around too long - remember, Simcoe is strict when it comes to timing so get your votes in by 8pm sharp! We'll post another blog tomorrow revealing the chosen beer style, along with the options for the malt bill and ABV.
The choice is yours, don't forget to use #Mashtag in your twitter votes!
Posted in - brewdog-news
- red ale arob11.03.2014
- Pilsner! Si10.03.2014
- Cant we have a Belgium dubbel/triple or even a Saison??? Parky7610.03.2014
- Porter! beerdy_dan10.03.2014
- Porter Please :) wee_designer10.03.2014
- Porter! Jonny10.03.2014
- Porter pretty please mighty mike10.03.2014
- Porter!! Mika Juhani10.03.2014
- Make it a smooth, velvet chocolaty Fullers London Porter style with high drinkability. Beer & Beyond10.03.2014
- I cant think quite how far you can go with a pilsner -> My reason exactly to vote for PILSNER :-) I wanna see how far BrewDog can go with it.
- Pilsner dpeldys10.03.2014
- Red ale toidol10.03.2014
- If theres no ipa I will have a porter. :-) boomer10.03.2014
- Porter please! The darker, the better. x beccarenee10.03.2014
- None of the above?
You already brew and market each of those styles. How about something different - a hefeweizen, a Belgian dubbel, a saison?
I vote for something original.GroundhogDay10.03.2014
- has to be a porter. Plenty of pilsners in the back catlogue but fewer porters. something sessionable beersiveknown10.03.2014
- Porter! Saison style! Siarl10.03.2014
- An imperial red ale Kal10.03.2014
- Red Ale ;) BouGi10.03.2014
- A pilsner with million IBUs would be interesting :P serti10.03.2014
- red ale raem10.03.2014
- Porter nom nom Torbeer10.03.2014
- In honour of the new Dundee Brewdog bar, you should add some marmalade. Or maybe just a Dundee cake!
but until that vote, I reckon an imperial porter would be ace.Myvatn10.03.2014
- Pilsner McKarvonen10.03.2014
- Amstel clone for Anthou@HFR Poutrello10.03.2014
- Porter Tenhorn 10.03.2014
- Porter Bagel10.03.2014
- Bed Ale!! FinMike10.03.2014
- You can never fail with a red ale! Mikeyt8610.03.2014
Theres enough red ales and pilsners out there. This planet needs more porters!Sage10.03.2014
- Porter! T-P10.03.2014
- Porter!!! Scaro10.03.2014
- Red Ale!!!
Like the awesome 5am Saint!Mauro10.03.2014
- Red Ale Pentsa10.03.2014
- Lets go imperial! Mr Milli10.03.2014
- Pilsner PaulC10.03.2014
- Red ale! bucks_10.03.2014
- PORTER!! Robbert10.03.2014
- Gotta be Rex or ded Stevepage40510.03.2014
- Pilsner Olivia-Amphibia10.03.2014
- Would love to see you guys taking hoppiness to the next level! hobbs12310.03.2014
- Red Ale! FranckyD10.03.2014
- Red Ale! Niiiiiiiix10.03.2014
- Pilsner! BrewBruh10.03.2014
- Porter Ade10.03.2014
- I cant think quite how far you can go with a pilsner, so my vote is for
- porter silentdan10.03.2014
- Pilsner brewgarage10.03.2014
- Pilsner philippst10.03.2014
- Red Ale! Brewshed10.03.2014