#Mashtag 2014 Day 4: The Twist
Poll: #Mashtag 2014 Day 4: The Twist
Another day of #Mashtag over, and another part of the recipe is locked in. In what some here at BrewDog HQ consider a surprise landslide, the winner is:
Global hops, at 65 IBU!
Over 12,000 votes were cast on the blog, which is a phenomenal response, but we knew you'd get really involved over the hops! Here's the breakdown:
Global Hops - 65 IBU - 77.2%
UK Hops - 90 IBU - 7.9%
US Hops - 120 IBU - 14.9%
For those of you just joining us, here's how #Mashtag works:
Every day this week we'll post a blog at 10am. Each post will present you with three options; it's up to you to decide which one we go with. To make the decision, you can cast your vote here on the blog, on twitter, or on facebook. Here's how the week will pan out:
Monday: Beer style - red ale
Tuesday: Malt bill - 9% imperial red with copious speciality malts and black malt
Wednesday: Hops - global hop mix at 65 IBU
Thursday: Special Twist
Voting is open from 10am - 8pm each day, with the exception of Friday (more details will be revealed, but now's a good time to have a look at last years blog for a head start). Simcoe and his little helpers will tally up the votes each evening and each day we'll include the results from the day before in the blog. As we go we'll explain the ingredients and methods involved in each option, to give you the chance to make an informed opinion and give you an insight into how we come up with some of the ideas for our beer.
Day 4: Special Twist
At BrewDog, we like to push the boat out and do things to beer that mess with the perception of what beer can be. Based on your 9% ABV, 65 IBU Imperial red ale with a global hop profile, we've put our heads together and came up with three twists which will make this a beer to remember. In no particular order, they are:
Aged with oak chips and chillies
This twist features an odd couple that - like R2-D2 & C-3PO - are bigger than the sum of their parts. The oak chips will add a smooth, toasty rounded character, while the chillies will give a spicy hit; both will keep each other in check, and allow the flavours to balance with the big bold malt bill and bright, clean hops.
Blood orange, orange peel and lemon peel
A huge, bittersweet, zesty slap in the face, which will play off the malt sweetness and amplify the citrus notes from the hops. This will imbue your imperial red ale with big summery flavours.
Infused with beetroot and coffee berries
A twist that will impart both colour and flavour; the beetroot will give a deep, red hue and a subtle earthiness, and the coffee berries a sharp, cranberry like note. Coffee berries are the fruit of the coffee plant, rather than the beans, so don't expect a Cocoa Psycho flavour here!
Think carefully about your choice of twist - unlike the Saw films, you only get one!
Place your votes at the top of this blog by 8pm, and tomorrow morning, we'll reveal the last element of your beer, and announce the label design round.
Posted in - brewdog-news
The point is to give everyone a say in making a unique beer, sadly the majority are too scared to try something new and bold and would rather have something safe and familiar.
Maybe craft beer aint for them if thats the case.Troubledwaters14.03.2014
- All of em. Just all of em. Shields14.03.2014
- Coffee berries and beetroot - just for the weirdness! (it was such a hard time to say no to chilli) Bxious13.03.2014
- Chillis!! Robbert13.03.2014
- Hey, Ho, Lets Oak!
A red ale BEGS for body and condiments.
For the citrics we already have IPAs and more IPAs.
Lets go for Oak and Chillies!
- Coffee berries yeh ok but Beetroot really? Pete13.03.2014
- I dont know, what is the difference between an apple and an orange? George J13.03.2014
- Whats the difference between an Apple and an Orange? :-P Rab13.03.2014
- Bloooooood oraaaaaaaaange peeel Brian Blessed13.03.2014
- I see some have missed the point. Mashtag isnt necessarily designed to create a completely unique beer, more a type of beer that the majority would like to see made, not the most unusual obscure one that only a few want. Majority rules! Looking forward to trying whatever beer wins. J.bax13.03.2014
- blood orange. to perk up my life! nannyinastate13.03.2014
- neither should beetroot so I guess it has to be the orange and lemon. ChilliShouldNeverBeAllowedNrBeer13.03.2014
- Deffo blood orange. GarethGazzGravey13.03.2014
- Yeah !! Another vote for the ladies - Blood orange & citrus peel. Please !
Pete H., Nottm13.03.2014
- Coffee Berries and Beetroot, I want red pee after drinking this Fuzzz13.03.2014
- Oak chips & chillies ALL THE WAY! Steveo13.03.2014
- I went for the Oak & Chillies ryansmith8713.03.2014
- Has to be blood orange to give us that summer
- GTFO with the citrus stuff thats been done to death! Oak chips and chillies all the way. Ghost and habanero preferably. Kevyg6913.03.2014
- Chillies, someone vote chillies!!!! MSull13.03.2014
- blood orange. Hit me with that citrus tang! PeterBW13.03.2014
- coffee berries and betroots ! toninux13.03.2014
- Reading everyones comments, you do know the point of this is to make a unique beer?
Think citrus flavoured beers are pretty well done by now.
Go have Fosters Twist ;)Troubledwaters13.03.2014
- I bloody love orange I do! Mikeyt8613.03.2014
- Why is everyone so psyched about blood orange? Oak chips & chillies is the clear choice for unique twist! :-) Ged13.03.2014
- BLOOOOOOOD ORANNNNNGGGGEEEE!!! lemony leonie!13.03.2014
- blood orange and peels - perfect combination! londonlady13.03.2014
- blood orange for me. the only way to go! pdq13.03.2014
- gotta be the blood orange... her dress is even orange! :) citrus lover13.03.2014
Reckon it will turn anything red?Troubledwaters13.03.2014
- i want the blood orange to WIN! brewlover13.03.2014
- blood orange! beer queen13.03.2014
- Beetroot fo sho - comfort food. But beer. Comfort beer. DONE. beddu13.03.2014
- Gottta be the citrus fruits rbrownlie13.03.2014
- Orange! bucks_13.03.2014
- Blood orange and red ale yum Kal13.03.2014
- A nice smooth bitter please. John Smith13.03.2014
- Blood orange, orange peel and lemon peel it is. EccyEccyPtang13.03.2014
- Please dont add coffee! :P Col13.03.2014
- Blood orange, orange peel and lemon peel! BrewBruh13.03.2014
- Has to be Coffee Berries and Beetroot for me! cyber13.03.2014
- Gotta be bold orange and lemon peel for a zesty summer sensation! Superfil13.03.2014
- MHA - gremlins in the system, should be live now! Sorry! BrewDogSarah13.03.2014
- Im sticking with the ladies, they seem to be doing well so far :-)
Blood orange, orange peel and lemon peelAde13.03.2014
- Anyone else noticed each day so far, whatever the girl has been holding up has won? Jmar13.03.2014
- Citrus all the way! Kirkio13.03.2014
- ohhh jaaaaaa. blood orange for the netherlands! beer-tastic.nl13.03.2014
- No voting poll on the page this time?
But; Coffee berries and beetroot!
- Blood orange, orange peel and lemon peel. Lets give it a zesty kick to match the Global hops! rwebster113.03.2014
- It has to be the blood orange & citrus peel really a_gnome13.03.2014
- gotta be the blood orange. cant wait! beer baby13.03.2014