#Mashtag Day 2: Malt Bill and ABV
The votes are in. They have been counted, double counted and many bribes have been turned down in the name of true democracy.
And #Mashtag Day 1 winner is........................Brown Ale. It was close.
Brown Ale 222 votes
IPA 218 votes
Stout 198 votes
Here is how MashTag Works:
Every day this week we will post a blog at 12 noon offering you 3 options for various elements of the brew. You cast your votes on twitter, on facebook or on our blog.
Monday - Beer Style - decided as Brown Ale.
Tuesday - Malt Bill & ABV
Wednesday - Hops & IBU
Thursday - Special Twist (barrel aged? Dry hopped? Belgian yeast? Addition of a pasturised mouse?)
Friday - Name
Votes need for the malt bill and ABV need to be cast by 1800 GMT. Simcoe will count the votes on his abacus and announce them the following day when we give you the next round of options. So today, you guys need to vote on the ABV and malt bill of the brown ale we are going to brew.
Today's choices are:
4.5% ABV Session Brown Ale
Malt Bill: Wheat, Oats, Amber Malt, Pale Malt, Caramalt
This would be a rock n' roll session interpretation of a brown ale. Using wheat and oats to amp up the body and give it a substantial mouth-feel that bellies it's modest ABV.
7.5% American Brown Ale
Malt Bill: Caramalt, Amber Malt, Roasted Barley, Pale Malt
An American classic. A toasty palate with some sweetness would provide the perfect base to do some serious damage with a heavy hop profile. Think of this as an Indian Brown Ale.
10% Imperial Brown Ale
Malt Bill: Brown Malt, Amber Malt, Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Roasted Barley
An imperial monster. 10% and boasting a giant malt bill. This huge beer would be brown ale amplified and the 10% base would provide a huge flavour canvas for the next stage.
Here is a quick overview of the important the malt bill plays in the brewing process to help you make up your mind on how to cast your all important vote.
Malt brings many things to a beer - flavour, colour, aroma and the sugar which ultimately creates the alcohol. When mixed with hot water the complex sugars in the malt are broken down and extracted into the liquid.
The amount of malt we use in relation to water, ultimately determines the ABV. More malt in relation to the water = more sugar in the solution = more fermentation = higher alcohol content.
Here we have some Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Caramalt, De-husked roasted Crystal Malt and Chocolate Malt.
After the mash has converted the starch to sugars and drawn colour, flavour and aroma from the malt we gently add hot water (a process called sparging) to help flush out all this goodness and transfer the sweet solution to our kettle for boiling (more on the boiling process tomorrow).
Get voting scamps!
Posted in - brewdog-news
- American Brown Ale Raxta_b27.03.2013
- session brown! Maxbog27.03.2013
- Session! Nicobar27.03.2013
- IBA !!!! Milmook27.03.2013
- American David G27.03.2013
- American Brown!! iDrink27.03.2013
- Session Brown!!
low alcohol but full flavor would be more special nowadays.midikey26.03.2013
- American all the way! Karlos26.03.2013
- All three?
Oh, if I've got to choose, I'll split the difference and go American. Though I'd be happy with any.TheBBG26.03.2013
- American Brown Ale would be great! Stew26.03.2013
- Gotta be Imperial.... jazzyjeffery26.03.2013
- American brown ale for me please! J.bax26.03.2013
- Look at that beard! Bowman has got my vote, American FTW Lucy Blue26.03.2013
- Make it American and make my day GraemeWally26.03.2013
- 7,5 % Timburr26.03.2013
- American for sure! DannyG26.03.2013
- Session Brown you Mothers
- IBA imac26.03.2013
- Session brown for me dempy! Innes26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale lower ABV for a change Alex1526.03.2013
- Imperial brown for me discoalla26.03.2013
because a beard is a beardAR26.03.2013
- Session please Grahamf426.03.2013
- Imperial brown please Ghost26.03.2013
- IMPERIAL IMPERIAL26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale seames26.03.2013
- Session, please. Puzzler26.03.2013
- Imperial sounds pretty tasty prc26.03.2013
- american ale please randy26.03.2013
- 7.5% American Brown Ale Tommy26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale for me please! Mattias E26.03.2013
- American Brown Ale please.... Fatbaldingoldgit26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale InPivoVeritas 26.03.2013
- Am I letting the fact that Bowman is holding the sign sway me? Probably. American please.
Be in my solo26.03.2013
- Imperial Guy E26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale SJLunn26.03.2013
- Imperial stoms26.03.2013
- American please! Hachi26.03.2013
- American! Teomando26.03.2013
- IMPERIAL brown ale of course! steckmeister26.03.2013
- Imperial brown ale Beer Man26.03.2013
- session brown ale gfunk26.03.2013
- American brown! Not an easy style of beer to find, but they are so good. Damo26.03.2013
- American! Nom nom! Ingramator26.03.2013
- sesh Rab26.03.2013
- Session ale, purely so i can drink lots of it without passing out. Stevepage40526.03.2013
- American Brown Ale Chris H26.03.2013
- I vote for the session brown ale Hupsi26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale !!! Fran !26.03.2013
- Session MrNutz1326.03.2013
- Imperial jbrewth26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale Tulio S26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale mbelohorka26.03.2013
- imperial please, only because I prefer the malt bill, would prefer the abv of American Stephanos26.03.2013
- American Brown Ale katieg26.03.2013
- American Brown! Graham Allen26.03.2013
- I only chose brown ale becausse the woman holding the sign looks like Adrian from Rocky.
10% Imperial Brown Ale for day 2Degmau526.03.2013
- Imperial NickD26.03.2013
- Session Mats26.03.2013
- American Brown Ale FTW! Andy H26.03.2013
- IMPERIAL FTW! Krissie J26.03.2013
- 10% Imperial Brown Ale works for me Parkside Pete26.03.2013
- I fancy a session in the Brown ;-) Tommo2sauce26.03.2013
- Session Gabber26.03.2013
- American brown capn_gokey26.03.2013
- Imperial please. 10% why think of anything else.
Thank you BD.Glynis26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale Paula26.03.2013
- go for the session ale, boys. Wouldn't mind having a couple and still be able to drive. fungus26.03.2013
- American brown capn_gokey26.03.2013
- imperial brown. i'll also back a core session brown music26.03.2013
- Session, innit. Charlotte26.03.2013
- Session for me too ! Toninus26.03.2013
- YES!! This is going to be an epic Brown ale so needs to stand out..
Imperial Brown Ale !!!!Phil90126.03.2013
- Imperial please alec wallace26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown SourSalty26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale please! MarcoP26.03.2013
- Session brown ale would be brillant Big Stu26.03.2013
- Session Markstedt26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale gets my vote. James H26.03.2013
- Imperial! Lewis B26.03.2013
- Session brown, Palun! Jeka26.03.2013
- Go for the Imperial! Daniel Sweden26.03.2013
- Session please Andrew26.03.2013
- Has to be Session Brown Ale as in need of something that can actually have a good few of tpickering26.03.2013
- American Brown Ale please! Immy26.03.2013
- session brown ale - 4.5% ABV. ellab1926.03.2013
- American Brown Ale please Philuren26.03.2013
- Imperial brown ale please BeerBelly26.03.2013
- Session for me. People, don't rush for the 10% just for a laugh come on now..... Doktorb26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale Jonny26.03.2013
- Session brown Ale chedgefa26.03.2013
- Impersial jacek26.03.2013
- Session brown ale rnorstrom26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale! AlexO26.03.2013
- Session Brown so bars have an excuse to ditch run of mill drivel thetondon26.03.2013
- Session 4,5%. Because I'd like to have several, get it at shops here in finland and because making everything big is so done. vogod26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale, obviously... colorado26.03.2013
- Session please! JCowie26.03.2013
- American brown! Chris.email@example.com
- There is a serious need for more Session Ales with attitude, So 4.5% ABV Session Brown Ale. Young26.03.2013
- A nice 4.5% session ale gets my vote! baldysteve26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale please Sylvain26.03.2013
- Got the be the Imperial Brown Ale for me. Don26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale!!! 7ways26.03.2013
- American Frenchie26.03.2013
- Imperial monster 10% !!
Anything with Monster in the description has got to be worth a vote.
Pete H., Nottm26.03.2013
- I want to be able to drink more than one, and a half, and another half.
So 4.5% ABV Session Brown Ale please.EccyEccyPtang26.03.2013
- As a one off, I'd say go Imperial but the core range could do with a Session Ale.
Because this beer will inevitably be awesome, I will vote for Session Brown Ale!AleBeHonest26.03.2013
- Imperial Brown Ale!!! JasonDPD26.03.2013
- It needs to be a 10% Imperial Brown Ale TheCraftyBugger26.03.2013
- Got to be an imperial brown ale for me please Pete26.03.2013
- Session Brown Ale! MF26.03.2013
- A session brown ale would be great but I get the feeling I may be out-voted... Mark C26.03.2013