Meet Blitz Apricot
Blitz Apricot is the perfect summer beer and first hit our bars last weekend. Blitz Apricot is a Berliner Weiss infused with Apricots. As to what a Berliner Weisse is, we maybe better explain.
Berliner Weisse was once the most popular drink in Berlin with 700 breweries brewing this heralded speciality. Now the style is teetering on the edge of extinction and there are only 2 breweries left in Germany making this style of beer
The secrets of this rare beer style are all in the name. A regional speciality of Berlin, the Berliner Weiss is a low ABV wheat beer that has been fermented using a blend of standard ale yeast and lactobacillus. This leads to many of the attributes commonly associated with Belgian Lambics without the intensity of the acidity. Berliner Weisse are very low on hop bitterness and very high on carbonation and commonly have an ABV of 2.8 - 3.8%.
The result is a low alcohol, light, refreshing, effervescent, zippy and tart wheat ale which shines even brighter with the addition of fruit or herbs. Traditionally either raspberry or woodruff is used in Germany but we thought we would up the ante by using apricots for our beers. It is our intention to brew further variations of Blitz using different fruits over the next few months.Our Apricot Berliner Weisse is just one of the many boundary pushing projects you can expect from our Dystopian Puppet Hobby Centre, our original Fraserburgh Brewery. This is our opportunity to go a little crazy and attempt new and exciting beer styles. This small batch beer will be keg only and is now available in all of our bars.
Posted in - brewdog-news
- Had some in Newcastle, very tart, makes your tast buds tingle, almost tastes off.... Azzle20.08.2013
- Had some last weekend, it's a total delight :) mlaws16.08.2013
- this craft beer nano brewer is doing it right too!
- Re other German styles... they have done in the past very successfully I may add tdtm8216.08.2013
- This sounds really good.
Out of interest, what souring process did you use?Gareth16.08.2013
- Will you be doing any other German styles? Would be good to see. JohnB16.08.2013
- Had this on the weekend, splendid stuff! Dave Glasgow16.08.2013