#MixDog - The Final Five
Competition was fierce for the BrewDog #MixDog challenge and, after three weeks and hundreds of entries submitted via email, facebook and twitter, we give you the #MixDog top 5. In no particular order,
1. Joe Depeau - MargarIPA
"Quite passable for a proper margarita, it’s got a real tequila-and-lime kick without overpowering the taste of the beer. The sugar helps tie everything together, and the wee bit of chili powder gives it a little something extra."
Ingredients:1 Bottle of Punk IPA, Juice of 1 lime, Juice and 1 pulp of 1 passion fruit, 1 tspn icing sugar 1 good pinch of chili powder 60 ml tequila Salt
Rub the rims of two glasses with lime juice, then dip into salt to coat; set aside. Pour the beer into a blender. Sieve the lime and passion fruit juices into the blender to remove any bits. Add the tequila, chili powder, and icing sugar, and blitz very briefly to blend and add some froth to the mixture. Pour into the prepared glasses, and garnish with lime slices. Serves two.
2. Russell Darling - Buffalo Bill
"The spirit of the wild west lives on with the "Buffalo Bill." Double down on dark cherry and liquorice flavours with the complimentary, but spirited combination of BrewDog Riptide and Buffalo Trace bourbon."
1/3 pint of BrewDog Riptide, 1 shot (44 ml) of Buffalo Trace bourbon, 2 tsp grenadine, top-off with cola.
Pour 1 shot of Buffalo Trace bourbon over ice in a BrewDog Teku glass. Add 1/3 pint of BrewDog Riptide. Add two teaspoons of grenadine, then top off with cola. Give it a little stir, then garnish with orange peel or cherry.
3. James Morton - Hardcore Sour
"New Hardcore (9.2%) was always going to be the beer to use. The first thing you’ll notice on the nose is it fires off a ton of citrus, notably grapefruit and orange. The idea with this very simple cocktail is to take these aromas and encompass them within toffee-ish flavour profile. It uses a little dry vermouth to give potency, but also reminiscence of the original classic"
Ingredients: 1x 25ml measure Dry Vermouth, 1/2 tsp Demerara Sugar, A firm squeeze of half a pink grapefruit, A firm squeeze of half an orange, 1/2 a Bottle Hardcore IPA, Wedge of lime, to serve.
Into a cocktail mixer, measure the vermouth, sugar, grapefruit juice and orange juice. Shake until the sugar is dissolved. Drain into a glass and top up with Hardcore IPA to taste (some bitterness should come through), around half a bottle. Into the glass, pierce and squeeze a wedge of lime. Garnish the rim with a little zest from the fruit, if desired. Enjoy!
4. Lee Jones - Wet Nose
Ingredients: 25ml Blackwell Rum 37.5ml Foxdenton Damson Gin 1 dash Fee Brothers Plum Bitters 200ml Brew Dog Alice Porter
Add all ingredients to mixing tin and gently roll between two tins (bloody mary style). Then, pour over 12oz glass, (collins or stemmed beer glass).
5. Karlena Garvock - The Black Pumpkin
Ingredients: 25 ml Pumpkin Liqueur, 1/2 pint Brew Dog's Alice Porter, 25 ml Flor de Cana 7 year old Rum.
Pour in pumpkin liqueur, add Alice Porter, and top with rum. Stir and serve!
Thanks again for all the awesome entries scamps. The top five will be contacted via email with further information shortly. Prizes and what happens now to be announced early next week.
Posted in - brewdog-news
- I really want to try the Black Pumpkin!!! Hero puppy21.10.2012
- MargarIPA - Genius. Gets my vote. Dave Cheesecake19.10.2012
- best of luck to the finalists! Can't wait to try these, and I'll keep my bizarre beer cocktail experiments on the go
- 'New' Hardcore? Didn't the change happen over two years ago? Anyway, I was skeptical about this whole enterprise but I have to say these do actually look great. I think Buffalo Bill looks the most tempting. Wilson19.10.2012
- I notice two recipes use Alice Porter, one of my favourite BrewDog beers - any chance of adding it to the core range? It's a tasty little porter, in my opinion and I'd like it to be more available. Fanboy Puppy Lover19.10.2012
- Hardcore Sour sounds amazing... might have to try that myself! scottcouper19.10.2012
- I hope Joe wins - His cocktail is a better version of my own entry, and any Punk + Tequila + lime combo tastes amazing. @dangerawesome19.10.2012
- James Morton as in 'Great British Bakeoff' James Morton? Walt Flanagan's Dog19.10.2012