Say hi to Lynn
Welcome to the twilight zone - a weird and wonderful place where craft beer meets crayons.
Queen of this colourful, beer-based dimension is Lynn – BrewDog Edinburgh manager by day, awesome doodler by night; or vice versa. Lynn’s been aboard the good ship BrewDog for almost three years now and in that time she's made her mark in more ways than one; mainly with felt tips, paint and beery, beery knowledge.
So what’s it like to be on the front line of the craft beer revolution in Scotland’s capital city? We found out…
“The Edinburgh BrewDog bar plays a huge part in the city’s beer scene; we've got a great beer community with loads of specialised beer shops and bars and my role lets me get as close to that as possible!
“It's awesome to have the opportunity to combine my two biggest loves – art and beer in a city I love! When I left art school to embark on a career in beer, I never thought I would be able to use my scribblin’ skills as much as I have; seeing my art adorn the walls in the Edinburgh and Manchester bars is epic and kind of surreal.
“Nothing fuels creativity like a Hardcore IPA…except for another Hardcore IPA.”
But surely, when it comes to art and beer, Lynn has a favourite? Wrong. Here's her response when we asked who would win if art and beer had to battle to the death:
“That's like asking to name your favourite child! I think beer and art both compliment each other really well so hopefully they wouldn't be fighting and we would spend loads of time together. Beer, art and me are one happy family!
Fancy getting your paws on some top art tips from the lady herself? Check out this blog from Lynn and Fisher which has the power to unleash your inner doodler. Just make sure you have your Sharpies at the ready!
Back behind the bar, there are few people with their finger on the craft beer pulse as much as Lynn. So what’s catching her eye and tempting her taste buds at the moment?
“Right now I'm really digging that breweries are starting to revive styles that have been overlooked or forgotten and giving them the recognition they deserve.
“I've been saying it for a while now but I really think brown ales are the underdog of the beer world! Maybe it's the name that puts people off but they're absolutely delicious and are very often overlooked.”
When Lynn’s not drinking beer or pouring it, she’s admiring it; or - to be more precise - the packaging. And who could blame her?:
“My favourite BrewDog label has to be Johanna Basford hand drawn illustration for the Basha Reserve. That label has got everything on it: owls, vines, mushrooms, even a few skulls! She is one super talented lady whose work looks great on the style of bottle we use for this particular beer.
“Close second has to be the squirrel from End of History that resides in the Aberdeen bar. Although technically, not a label he does have a smashing bushy tail and he tells pretty good jokes.”
Let it be known that we’re not content with our bar staff remaining behind the bar. During this year’s Collabfest, our bars teamed up with some of the best craft breweries the UK has to offer. Lynn and team were matched with the mighty, mighty Tempest – a super cool craft brewery hailing from the wilds of Kelso in the Scottish Borders. Needless to say, it was a massive hit.
“Our recent collab with Tempest Brew Co. went down a treat with Edinburgh regulars.
“Tempest is one of my favourite breweries so it was awesome to have the opportunity to make Marmalade on Toast with them. The final result was DELICIOUS! It sold out in under two hours!”
Want to say hi to Lynn? You can drop her a line here email@example.com or leave a comment in the box below.
Posted in - brewdog-news
- Hi Lynn.
Ive not been to Edinburgh Brewdog for over a year now, so I must be due another visit .....
Pete H., Nottm25.02.2014
- hi Lynn glasgogs25.02.2014
- I happened to stumble across the Brewdog Edinburgh bar at the end of last month when I was visiting friends and had a few hours to kill before I was meeting them. She helped me get nicely merry with the finest of ales and always had a smile on her face. Its always nice to see someone working behind a bar, clearly enjoying their job, even on a slow Thursday afternoon. I doff my cap in her direction! Boy24.02.2014
- Lynn makes the bar feel like home, we vary between being in twice a week or once every 3 months and she always makes us happy to be there. Ailsa24.02.2014
- Great blog super-hands! Hoisin Crispy Owl24.02.2014
- About time Lynn got a blog. Shes the best of all the BrewDogs. Shame on you for taking so long! Crumbles24.02.2014
- YAY LYNN LynnsTheBest24.02.2014
- I was through from Glasgow on the Saturday of the Collabfest, the Marmalade on Toast was excellent - slightly bizarre but absolutely what it claimed to be! A R24.02.2014
- Wow, sounds like she is a winner... Could John Allen and Lynn do a beer/art collaboration? #johnallanrocks24.02.2014
- She seems cool! May make a trip across to say hello soon. Lynn FTW24.02.2014
- Yay for Lynn!!! LynnFan!24.02.2014