Some cool beers, that are in our tanks.
B3 - Dog A
Dog A is a very special beer. This beer will be released to commemorate our 5th anniversary in April 2012. Dog A is a beer which originally appeared as AB:04 and was perhaps the sought after beer we ever brewed. The beer is only available to buy direct from BrewDog (at our AGM, our bars and our online shop) and will be offered exclusively to our shareholders first. Dog A is a 15.1% Imperial Stout brewed with copious amounts of dark malts, pure cacao and coffee, balanced by the subtle addition of naga chilli. Perfect for ageing in your cellar or drinking fresh if you are lucky enough to get your paws on a bottle.
Here is to an awesome first 5 years of BrewDog. We look forward to the next 5. Go to the edge and keep going. This ride is not over.
The original (and kinda messy brew-sheet)
It is currently maturing in B3 with some chilli, cacao and coffee for company.
Kegs - Hardcore NZ
What do you get if you take our World Beer Cup Gold Medal winning Imperial India Pale Ale and replace all the American hops with New Zealand ones?
Hardcore NZ! And we just brewed a tiny batch in one of our baby tanks using Moteuka, Nelson Sauvin, Pacific Gem and Green Bullet. The beer will be keg only and is available in all BrewDog bars from today. Go get some! And hope James and Martin don't drink it all before you get there!
James tries unsuccesfully to get all the kegs of Hardcore NZ sent to his house.
FV 1, FV 2, FV 11, FV 16 - IPA is Dead
Some of you may have noticed IPA is Dead Simcoe in BrewDog Bars recently. This was the pilot brew for the 2012 IPA is Dead series. For the 2012 series we reduced the amount of speciality malt (crystal malt, caramalt and amber malt) in the malt bill to enable the hop flavour to come through even more.
IPA is dead showcases 4 killer hops varieties from 4 corners of the planet. The result is 4 radically different single hop IPAs. Each IPA contains the same malt backbone and is brewed to be 75 IBU and is enthusiastically kettle hopped and massively dry hopped.
Brewer Jonathan and (H)Operations Manager Brian with some IPA is Dead Galaxy, currently being dry hopped in FV 16
To appreciate the true character, flavour, power and aroma of our favourite hops you need them in their purest, undiluted form. The 2012 incarnation will see a mixed 4 pack of 4 single hop IPAs using HBC - a new American prototype hop, Galaxy - a killer Australian Hop, Challenger - a classic British hop and Moteuka - one of our favourite New Zealand hops.
Can you say you've ever experienced 100% pure hop awesomeness? IPA is Dead is brewed and bottled to do just that. The beer will be released on draft in all BrewDog bars on the 20th April and online on the same day.
Oak Casks AB09
AB09 is due to be released in early April and the Cranachan Imperial Stout we brewed in September last year. Since then it has been peacefully maturing in amazing single grain whisky barrels.
Remember voting for what we should brew back in 2011? The ideas came flooding in and you eventually voted for a Cranachan Imperial Stout. And it was Wednesday with some special guests: Gareth Young (who came up with the idea) along with our Scandinavian Top Dog Darren Packman, Per from Cask Sweden along with Stene and Rille from the acclaimed Akkurat in Stockhom.
The Cranachan Imperial Stout was inspired by the famous Scottish desert, brewed with a mountain of dark malts, loads of oats, Scottish Heather Honey, local raspberries and has been aged in grain whisky casks. Whilst brewing, ingredients certainly tasted pretty spectacular. Raspberries dipped in honey, oats and cacao were a post lunch treat! The 17.1% beer is now being transferred from oak cask back into tank in preparation for bottling.
The beer will be released in early April.
FV 3 Anarchist Alchemist
A 14% IPA Evolution. Taking our favourite beer style to the next level, Anarchist Alchemist is a triple dry hopped triple IPA.
According to our rock 'n roll brewer Graeme, this beer is going to rip you, straight to your tits. Not quite sure how that works, but I am exciting. Hop titillation is the best kind.
This beer will be available on draft, although each BrewDog bar will only have one 20L keg of it as it is extremely limited, and in bottle from the start of April.
Here is our brewer George with a sample of the beer from FV3.
Anarchist / Alchemist
Fuck the system. Forget what you know. What has been. Bow to no one. History is bereft. Reorder. Disorder. Embrace the unknown. The groundbreaking. The challenging. The ichorous revolution is upon us.
Anarchist / Alchemist
Try until your fingers bleed and your mind is numb.Try harder. Try this. Try that. Try the other. Try what hasn’t been tried. Then try again. Keep trying. Forge the new. The molten elixir awakens.
Just a note on Libertine Porter. We have had it on keg in the bar for the last few weeks. The bottled version will be around 6 weeks away.
Many of these new limited release beers (IPA is Dead, Anarchist Alchemist and Hardcore NZ) are heavily dry hopped. Dry hopping is the process of adding loads of hops to a beer at a low temperature after fermentation. It looks something like what is happening in the glass above, but in a tank!
Because the temperature is very low, dry hopping imparts no hop bitterness but instead an avalanche of aroma and flavour. The mesmerising aroma of our Punk IPA, 5am Saint and Hardcore IPA which explodes out of the glass is due to the dry hopping of these beers.
Walk Tall, Kick Ass and Learn to Speak Craft Beer,
james and the team x
- Apologies James. I do agree that AB04 was your best beer yet and, if pushed, I would nominate it as my favourite beer by *any* brewery yet. Wilson12.03.2012
- It will also not be 'AB04'. This will not be a numbered Abstrakt bottle.
For our 5th anniversary we just wanted to make a batch of what is perhaps the best beer we have brewed so far.BrewDog James12.03.2012
- I understand people's annoyance at AB04 being re-released, but I think they're misguided. Brewdog's responsibility is to make amazing beer - if people only buy beers for the cachet that comes with buying something rare, you deserve to be disappointed when that beer becomes more widely available. I had a couple of bottles of AB04 when it first came out, and now can't wait to et my hands on some more. Why? Because it was amazing. What else do you need? Wilson12.03.2012
- Loving the looks of Anarchist/Alchemist. Dear Gods of Anarchy, please deliver some to Australia!!!!! hawkesi12.03.2012
- Huge thanks to the the team at brewdog, especially Paul who went quite literally the extra 200 miles to ensure my online order arrived in time for my mates party on Saturday. He was over the moon. Outstanding customer service!!! Keep up the great work all round. Colberforce11.03.2012
- Had Hardcore NZ last night. Pretty fucking epic.
- Great Post Guys - love the photos and seeing what you are working on.
- Can't wait for the IPA is Dead series! jamestulloch11.03.2012
- Well im sure you will make many people happy going back on you word.
Wonder how many people will be so happy when you see out to In BevCraig Garvie11.03.2012
- looks good!
any idea when the ballast point collab will be released?rich10.03.2012
- I missed out on AB:04 so I'm glad you're releasing it again. - I'll order all the beers when they're available...I've drifted away from BrewDog stuff for a while... stravale10.03.2012
- Excellent article - great to have a preview of what's coming up. @CR - Couldn't agree more - very annoying when that happens! leithdave09.03.2012
- HeyZeus! Anarchist / Alchemist sounds amazing! Will there be any on draft at the AGM party or at BD Aberdeen? WANT! TTr209.03.2012
- As was mentioned below, it would be good if you could time at least some of the releases to be the same day so we can order them together. A few times in the past ive put orders in only to place another order a few days later when a different beer is released CR09.03.2012
- Can't Wait for April!!! i like beer09.03.2012
- Great blog post. Would really love to see more posts like this in the future. I find it really interesting knowing what's in the tanks etc.
I think "Dog A" should have been called "Dog V"
V being the Roman Numeral for 5., being the 5th anniversary beer an all :)
- Will any of these fine beers be avalible in 500ml bottles .........Eh mica................. moaning......... mico09.03.2012
- Awesome update, thanks guys! All these new beers will be a good test of the new shop! I'm hanging on for the release of the new IPA is Dead to fill my box up... Fanboy Puppy Lover09.03.2012
- Would it be possible to release all the beers around the same time? Because shipping costs to Ireland is similar to a kick in the balls. Dave8509.03.2012
- Can't wait for the new IPA Is Dead series and Dog A sounds the DAWGS BAWS!
- @BenH - we thought our 5th Birthday was a suitable occasion to make an exception to the general Abstrakt rule.
- Thanks for the update chaps - much appreciated. Gutted I couldn't afford to shell out for some shares now! musik10309.03.2012
- im not complaining but.....
"Abstrakt is a new type of beer brand, we will only ever brew and release a beer once"
- Love the dry hopping pic.
And Brian is hot!Beccy09.03.2012
- Dog A for the win!
Mr T 09.03.2012
- Looks awesome.
Wish I was spending my Friday afternoon between B3 and FV 16!