10 Reasons to Grab A Growler From the Bar
As most craft beer geeks can attest to, there are plenty of great reasons to use a growler when taking beer home. For those not yet in the know, a growler is a container typically made out of glass, ceramic or aluminum, that is used to transport beer. An air-tight jug, it allows you to take draft beer from one place to another without losing quality.
We came up with ten reasons why you should start bringing your growler to the bar. Let's drive right in...
1. They’re easy to transport. Despite the many sizes or shapes you can choose from, growlers have a handle for you to carry, and they’re not heavy when filled with beer. The beer manages to stay fresh even when transported, due to the airtight composition.
2. You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to size. Though typically 32 or 64 oz, you’re able to choose just how much you want to take home – typically around 2-4 pints in each growler depending on the size you fill.
3. Growlers are environmentally friendly. Using the same growlers time and again eliminates the waste of cans and bottles that would have otherwise likely ended up in the trash.
4. Your growler can hold its own for the weekend, typically lasting for several days when kept cold. It’s often recommended to drink it within 24 hours of opening though – so get cracking!
5. The freshest beer is going home with you. With all the logistics of getting the beer from the brewery, sometimes to the distributor, then to the grocery store, and finally to your fridge, you can eliminate the middle man and take home the fresh beer you just sampled in the taproom.
6. You can enjoy as much of your favorite draft beers as you want from the comfort of your home, without worrying about the drive home.
7. Of the 3 standard types (amber glass, stainless, and ceramic), we carry two, including the traditional swing top amber glass, which helps to protect from UV rays. We also carry aluminum Liberty growlers which are less fragile, protect from UV, and tend to work best to insulate temperature.
8. Our state of the art Gruber machine at DogTap uses a counter pressure CO2 filler to help lessen the amount of oxygen. This system works by purging the oxygen out of the growler before it is filled, and helps prevent your beer from becoming oxidized, which will give you a little more time to drink it before it goes stale.
9. They can be multi-purpose; our staff often use the aluminum Liberty growlers as water bottles by day, and growlers by night.
10. They’re easy to clean! Give your growler a good rinse once it’s empty, then all you’ll have to do is use some soap and warm water and let air dry. Some are also dishwasher safe!
Which beer are you going to fill your growler with next?