Just Brew It: BrewDog expands London presence with ninth bar opening in Angel, Islington
The bar will be the Scottish brewer’s fifth opening of 2018, bringing its total number of bars to 36 in the UK and 54 worldwide, as well as its first ever site to offer beer fans the chance to brew their own beer.
- Located on Essex Road, Islington, N1 2SA, BrewDog Angel will feature 14 taps and an impressive four 20L homebrew kits, as well as a deli fridge stocked with a wide range of beers to enjoy drinking in or takeaway.
- In celebration of the opening, BrewDog will enter the first 50 people through the bar's doors into a raffle on its public opening at 12 pm on Friday 1st June.
- Craft beer fans entered into the draw will be in with a chance of winning a host of beery prizes, including a year’s supply of beer to be claimed in the bar, an all expenses paid trip for two to the state-of-the-art Ellon brewery, and the opportunity for three home-brewers to win a BrewDog Homebrew Day.
- The experience invites lucky homebrewers to try their hand at creating their awesome beers on the 20L kits on site.
- The Essex Road site has capacity for 100 beer fans, serving the world’s best beers alongside a perfectly-paired pizza menu. The bar will also feature a heated outdoor seating area.
- Last month, BrewDog furthered its craft beer revolution with the launch of its first ever BrewPub in London’s Tower Hill.
- At 8,500 square feet, BrewDog Tower Hill stands as the Scottish brewery’s largest stand-alone bar site complete with 10HL brewing kit, making it the only place in the UK outside its headquarters in Ellon, Scotland, to be making BrewDog beers.
- Exclusive beers brewed in the 10HL brewing kit are permanently on offer at the bar, as well as distributed across BrewDog’s network of bars in London.
- Tower Hill was also the first BrewDog bar to serve breakfast and brunch dishes daily in addition to its renowned pizza, burger and wing menu.
- BrewDog Angel is the third BrewDog site to open in the capital this year following the Seven Dials and Tower Hill bar openings in March and May.
- At the seventh AGM meeting last month, BrewDog revealed a number of announcements including plans for 17 new bars around the world and increased availability of BrewDog beer in the USA as new state distributors were announced, as well as a move into cider with Hawkes, based in Bermondsey.
- In Brisbane, Australia, a third brewing site is currently under construction, adding to the Scottish brewer’s facilities in Columbus, Ohio and its HQ in Ellon, Scotland.
- 2017 proved to be a banner year for BrewDog, with sales up by 78% and overall revenue up 55% on 2016.
- Punk IPA remains the brewery’s flagship beer and best-selling craft beer in the UK off-trade for the last year, with currently five of the top 10 best-selling craft beers in the UK off trade being BrewDog products.
- BrewDog’s remarkable growth has been powered by its record-breaking Equity for Punks crowdfunding initiative, which has seen the brewery raise over £55million since 2009.
- Last October, the brewery launched its fifth round of Equity for Punks, looking to raise a target £10million to further its global expansion.
- After reaching the initial target in under 90 days, the brewer announced in January that Equity for Punks V would remain open until 15th October 2018, or until the maximum potential raise of £50million is reached.
- As of today, this latest round of Equity for Punks has raised over £16 million from more than 34,000 investors.
James Watt, cofounder of BrewDog said:
“London has established itself as a hub for passionate, innovative and experimental craft brewers and we’re proud to be able to stand by their side in the crusade for awesome craft beer. Collaborating and connecting with like-minded people is what fuels us, so we’re thrilled to be able to welcome more zeal, brilliance and love for craft beer into the fold with the awesome homebrew kits in our ninth London bar. The more people we can introduce to the world of beer and brewing, the better our community will be.”