The dog of Wall Street: BrewDog aims to raise $10 million with Equity for Punks USA
Independent Scottish brewer, BrewDog, today, opened the latest American round of its record-breaking equity crowdfunding initiative: Equity for Punks. With a goal of raising $10 million (£7.5 million), the brewer made the announcement with characteristic BrewDog bombast, by parachuting taxidermy ‘fat cats’ from a helicopter above Manhattan.
- Intended as ‘anti-propaganda propaganda’, the former cats openly mock the caricature of the Wall Street fat cat banker, with pinstripe suits and bloated bellies, parodying the image of the greedy investment banker that BrewDog rails against.
- Each of the dropped cats carried a brochure containing details of the equity share offering.
- Thrown from the skies by co-founders James Watt and Martin Dickie, dozens of the guerrilla felines parachuted into the bustling city below.
- The ‘fat cat drop’ was caught on camera and has been shared across BrewDog’s social media communities.
- This launch is the second round of ‘Equity for Punks USA’, following the brewer’s first round in 2016, which raised more than $7 million before closing last July.
- BrewDog aims to raise $10 million in round two, as it continues to expand its footprint in the United States.
- From its state-of-the-art brewery in Columbus, Ohio, BrewDog has been rolling out its craft beer revolution across America, and the beer is now distributed widely across seven states including Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, New York, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Illinois.
- The brewery currently has three bars in Columbus, with many more aiming to launch in the next 12 months.
- In cities where BrewDog sees more than 500 people investing in Equity for Punks USA, the brewer will endeavor to open a BrewPub in that city within the next 18 months.
- In this round, BrewDog is making 800,000 shares of common stock in BrewDog USA Inc. available, at a price of $50 per share.
- Funds from this latest round of Equity for Punks USA will support BrewDog’s stateside growth, with plans to potentially include new bars in Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Cleveland.
- It will also be using funds to expand its Columbus brewery, including a new events venue, developing a sour beer facility, and an automated keg line to help it meet demand for production.
- Every Equity for Punks USA investor will receive a wealth of unique benefits and rewards, including 5% discount in any of the 50 BrewDog bars worldwide and a 10% discount for its U.S. online store.
- It will also offer 10% discount on rooms at DogHouse, the world’s first crowdfunded craft beer hotel, which is set to open on site at the brewery in Ohio in late Summer.
- In addition to a wealth of other benefits, American Equity Punks will also receive an invite to BrewDog’s legendary U.S. AGM (Annual General Mayhem) in Columbus, featuring music, food and beer from BrewDog and its favourite breweries from around the world.
- BrewDog will also be offering further tiered benefits for Equity Punks who invest more, with additional benefits available from just $100.
- Extra perks include subscriptions to BrewDog’s upcoming digital TV network (of which more information is due to be released later in 2018), and unique experiences such as brewing your own beer at the Columbus brewery, and free beer for a year.
- For those who invest more than $50,000, the brewery will ‘BrewDog your house’, creating a fully-functioning BrewDog bar in your home.
- BrewDog plc has a long history of turning to its community to support and share in its growth.
- The European version of its Equity for Punks initiative is currently in its fifth round, and has currently raised over £16m for BrewDog plc since launching in October 2017.
- The raise is due to close in October 2018, and reached its initial goal of 10m in under 90 days.
- Over 6 rounds, BrewDog plc and BrewDog USA Inc. have raised more than £57m from over 80,000 people around the world. This latest raise gives American beer fans the opportunity to join that global community by investing in BrewDog USA Inc.
- At its seventh AGM in Aberdeen in April, BrewDog made a slew of announcements including a move into cider and plans for 17 new bars around the world.
- A third brewing site is currently under construction in Brisbane, Australia to add to its brewing facilities in Columbus and its HQ in Ellon, Scotland.
James Watt, co-founder of BrewDog commented:
“For too long, the fat cats of Wall Street have ruled the financial system, with power and wealth sitting with a privileged few. We are raining down on that tired financial system from above with our feline anti-propaganda propaganda, to shake up the status quo and show the people of America that there is another way. Crowdfunding can no longer be viewed as alternative finance; this is the democratisation of finance.”
“Community has always been at the heart of Equity for Punks. Without our 80,000 maverick Equity Punks, we would never be where we are today. With the launch of Equity for Punks USA, we want to invite thousands more beer fans to join us on our collective mission to make other people as passionate about craft beer as we are.”
“It’s been a wild ride since we launched BrewDog in Scotland in 2007, and we’ve built the UK’s leading craft beer business, as well as brewing one of the most popular craft beers in Europe, Punk IPA. We’re now taking all we have learned, and applying it to the incredibly exciting, eclectic American beer scene. With the backing of our beer fans, there is no telling how far we can take this rocket ship.”
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Investments can go down as well as up and invested capital is at risk. Investors should only invest on the basis of information contained in the prospectus issued by BrewDog USA Inc. which is available at www.equityforpunksusa.com