STOP! REFRIGERATE AND LISTEN: BrewDog pioneers chilled supply chain across UK distribution
Scottish independent brewery, BrewDog, has launched a new chilled supply chain process that will ensure all BrewDog beer distributed in the UK remains at 8 degrees Celsius at all times. The move is part of a wider commitment from the craft brewery to ensure its beer is always stored at cool temperatures in order to maintain freshness.
- BrewDog has worked with warehousing specialists in Glasgow to install refrigerated storage, and all of its beer sold within the UK will be stored below 8 degrees until it is shipped out for UK trade customers.
- The brewery will also store all its guest beers for 30 UK BrewDog bars in the same cool climes.
- BrewDog’s flagship beer, Punk IPA is the number 1 best selling craft beer in UK supermarkets, outselling its nearest rival 4:1. Dead Pony Club – BrewDog’s West coast-inspired session pale ale – is the third most popular craft beer, and its grapefruit infused IPA, Elvis Juice also appears in the top 10.
- BrewDog stores all its own beer - as well as all guest beer for its UK bar division - at XPO, ensuring chilled storage for all beer served in BrewDog bars.
- The new process went live on 2nd May 2017.
- The brewery, launched in 2007, now operates 50 bars around the world, and will open its sister brewery in Columbus, Ohio this year. Its UK sales grew by 97% in 2016, with 65 million bottles of craft beer shipped worldwide, and turnover up 61% to £72 million last year. The brewery is the only company to appear on the Sunday Times Fast Track 100 in 5 consecutive years.
- Beer quality is a key focus for the craft brewer, evidenced by the fact that BrewDog operates the most technologically-advanced beer quality laboratory in the whole of Europe from its brewery in Ellon, Aberdeenshire.
Co-founder James Watt commented;
“Beer kept cold keeps its flavour and quality for longer, and that is a fundamental requirement for us. We live and die by the quality of our beer, and our commitment to this chilled process will ensure we never let our beer drop below 8 degrees.
The craft beer scene in the UK is at an insanely exciting and pivotal point just now. Facilitating freshness will help ensure that beer drinkers get their hands on only the best quality BrewDog beer. Craft beer is best when it is chilled. Just like humans.”