KABOOM: BrewDog breaks ground on The DogHouse, world’s first crowdfunded craft beer hotel and sour beer facility, with a bang
Independent craft brewer, BrewDog today broke ground on The DogHouse, the world’s first crowdfunded craft beer hotel, at the site of its U.S. headquarters in Canal Winchester, Ohio. Instead of gold shovels and hard hats, BrewDog began construction with an explosion – literally blowing a hole in the ground where the hotel will be built.
- This marks the next phase in the hotel’s development, following the March Indiegogo campaign to crowdfund for the hotel, which raised more than $300,000, four times the original goal.
- The first U.S. Indiegogo hotel backer, Tara Grove of Canal Winchester, pushed the detonator.
- More than 250 of BrewDog’s Equity Punk investors and Indiegogo hotel backers attended the explosive groundbreaking and celebrated with free cans of the brewer’s flagship beer, Punk IPA.
- With construction officially underway, The DogHouse is scheduled for completion in summer 2018 in advance of BrewDog’s annual stakeholders meeting, Annual General Mayhem.
- The state-of-the-art hotel will feature a craft beer spa, a Punk IPA tap in every room and an in-shower beer fridge. Guests who stay in the luxury suites will also have their own hot tub full of Punk IPA.
- The sour beer facility, which will be visible from the hotel’s guest rooms, will enable BrewDog to experiment with new flavors and brewing techniques.
- It will begin brewing in late 2018, and will diversify BrewDog USA’s current production capacity in its connected 100,000-square-foot brewery.
- BrewDog fans can watch the construction progress at BrewDog’s U.S. brewery and taproom, DogTap, in Canal Winchester, Ohio, or on BrewDog USA’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
According to BrewDog USA CEO, Tanisha Robinson:
“‘We blow shit up’ is my favorite part of BrewDog’s charter; it’s a directive for us to constantly challenge ourselves in how we think about our business. But in this case, it only made sense to take it literally. The DogHouse is already a hotel and sour beer facility like no-other thanks to our Indiegogo backers and Equity Punks, so it deserved an explosive start to construction. We’re super excited for it to launch it in 2018.”
BrewDog co-founder and CEO, James Watt, commented:
“This is a hotel for punks, by punks. Our Equity Punks and Indiegogo backers went above and beyond with their investments and ideas for The DogHouse, so we wanted to do the same to kick-off construction. We can’t wait to see a sold-out hotel full of craft beer lovers.”