TOP DOG: BrewDog USA appoints Tanisha Robinson as Managing Director
Scottish craft brewer, BrewDog, has appointed Tanisha Robinson as Managing Director of BrewDog USA, ahead of the official launch of its 100,000 square foot brewery in Columbus, Ohio. Robinson will be responsible for establishing the BrewDog brand, sales strategy, operational growth, and developing its American bar division.
- With its first USA-brewed beers hitting stores and venues next week, Tanisha will be spearheading the growth of BrewDog’s distribution, initially focusing on Ohio before expanding horizons to neighbouring states and beyond.
- Tanisha will also be managing the expansion of BrewDog’s US bar division, beginning with plans to open two new craft beer bars in Columbus before the end of the year.
- BrewDog’s Equity for Punks programme launched to American audiences in Summer 2016 and will close on July 28 2017.
- The business has garnered a community of almost 7,000 investors in that time, raising more than $6million. Shares can be purchased for $95 for two from brewdog.com/usa/equityforpunks
- The initial focus for BrewDog’s first American MD will be on recruitment and integrating BrewDog’s well-ingrained culture and creating a consistent and cohesive business between Aberdeenshire and Columbus.
- Robinson, a long-time Columbus resident, has a wealth of entrepreneurial experience having founded several successful companies.
- Her most recent startups include Print Syndicate, a design, technology and marketing company known for lookHUMAN.com, ActivateApparel.com, and MericaMade.com, which sold in excess of $40million worth of products in its first four years.
- Robinson also co-founded TicketFire, the mobile app that allows users to use, transfer and sell paper tickets. She is a featured national speaker on entrepreneurship, innovation, and leadership and currently serves on the board of The Columbus College of Art and Design, Mount Carmel Health System, and The Greater Columbus Arts Council.
- With the Brewer’s Association anticipating the craft beer market to account for 20% of the total beer market in America by 2020, BrewDog is poised to take all it has created in Europe and establish itself an outpost in Ohio. The introduction of the role of MD will ensure BrewDog adapts itself to its new environment in America;
- BrewDog’s brand new, state-of-the-art 100,000 square foot brewery in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the most technologically-advanced and environmentally-friendly breweries in the world.
- Officially launching in August this year, the brewery was in part funded by BrewDog’s record-breaking crowdfunding programme, Equity for Punks, which has raised over £40million globally.
- The US arm of this initiative, Equity for Punks USA, is still open for investment until July 28. Shares are available to buy at BrewDog.com/USA/EquityforPunks for $47.50 per share with a minimum purchase of two shares per person.
- Equity Punks gain a wealth of benefits when they invest in BrewDog, including 5% discount in all of its global bars and a 20% lifetime discount on the online store. Equity Punks are also invited to BrewDog’s USA Annual General Mayhem (AGM), a festival of beer, music and food. This year’s USA AGM in August will also mark the official launch of the Columbus brewery.
Tanisha Robinson, Managing Director of BrewDog USA commented:
“Our biggest priority right now is getting our beer into people’s hands. Luckily, that will start this week! We’re focused on making great beers, telling our story to the US in a very BrewDog way, being the greatest place to work in the world, and creating awesome experiences for our customers and the Equity Punk community.”
“We’re currently looking for great people that bleed craft beer and love to blow shit up (two main points of the BrewDog Charter). Within the next 12 months, we’ll be hiring across every aspect of the business, and with our Franklinton location opening in October and the Short North bar launching before the end of the year, we’ll be more than doubling the size of our US team, and we’re always on the hunt for talented brewers as we expand capacity. ”
“Because there are so many craft breweries in America, it’s really forcing everyone in the industry to fixate on creativity and quality. This means that there’s a lot of really amazing, interesting beers coming out, and this expanded range means a lot of people that aren’t into craft beer (yet!) will definitely find something they love. The Columbus (and Ohio) beer scene is particularly vibrant because of the constant expansion, knowledgeable patrons, talented brewers, and incredible diversity.”
James Watt, Co-founder of BrewDog, commented:
"We have been searching for someone to head up our USA operations, and as soon as we met Tanisha we knew we'd found our Top Dog. The killer combination of her astute business instinct, huge passion for craft beer, and her love of our new hometown, Columbus made her the perfect fit. Our USA launch and expansion is one of the most exciting and ambitious ventures we've dreamt up yet, and with Tanisha at the helm, the sky is the limit."